How it works.
1. This is frame where you can see your tags. Also you can manage ( move\rename\delete ) tags and select tags to assign to selected files.
2. Here you can see currently selected tags, and also you can select deselect tags through this window.
3. In this text box you can add new tag: just type tag name and push Enter, and new tag will appear in a TagsFrame(2).
4. This is frame for files filtered by tags.
5. This button ( yes this is button ) shows how many files selected. Remember: if any files selected
you will assign/deassign tags for them, if no files selected:
you will filter files by tags selection.
6. There is two mode to show tags: like tree and like list, by this button you can switch between both of them.
7. It is a fields where you can put your description for file and description will be stored inside file. ( For details read "Where stored tags data and a description.")
How to add tags to files.
Simpliest way to do this: it is with Windows Explorer context menu: select one or more files or folders click right mouse button and select the "Manage Tags" menu item.
Then you can easily choose the tag from existing tags or add a new by "Add new tag here". Moreover in the dialog box that appears, you can enter the full path to the tag: like photo/city/Praag or
books/writer/Edgar Allan Poe and so on.
Open a main window and drag and drop files into frame for files ( number 3 in the picture of main window ), then select the files for which you want to assign tags choose tags for them.
You can easily open the main window in several ways: with file context menu, by standart way to open any application ( Desktop Icon, Windows menu) or menu in windows notification area.
How to get files for tag.
Open the main window of app ( we described how to do this in previos topic ) and select tags for which you want to find files.
Even better way: push Alt+X ( configurable hotkey ) keyboard hotkey and check right-bottom corner of the screen.
There shoud appear the FastTagAccess window, just start typing tag's name and select one what you wish.
What color of tags means?
When you have an open main window in tags frame ( number 1 in the picture of main window ) you can see all tags what you have.
Tags may have files associated with them, may have subtags and both of them subtags and files.
If a tag has files it has a yellow color if doesn't: pale yellow.
What the difference:
If you select tag which has files in result you will get files associated with this tag, despite if this tag has subtags or not.
If you select tag with only subtags ( pale yellow color ) as result you will get all files for all subtags.
If color of tag is grey that means you cannot filter files by this tag because result of filtration will be zero.
Where stored tags data and a description.
Data for tags and description stored in two places:
1. In files itself as ADS ( Alternate Data Stream for NTFS ). So you can move and transfer you files with memory stick to other computers or removable drives
but these drives or memory sticks have to have NTFS file system..
If your memory stick is not NTFS format, you can use WinRAR to archive files with ADS streams.
And even if something happens to the local database: It is easy to restore from files itself by scanning disc or directory with tagged files.
2. In local "database". Local data base is needed to facilitate and speedup access to tags and files.
Can I move, rename, delete tagged files?
Yes you can.
The software tracks changes in the file system and if something happens with tagged files it will update local database respectively.
Moreover: if you connect new drive the software will propose you to tracks changes in this drive. Choose what you want: if it is just temporary
memory stick better to choose "No". This choise will remember by software for this drive. If you want reset this you can do it in settings.