For Windows x64
Why would I need this?
Let's assume that you have a large archive of photos, and you have it, I'm sure there is :)
How do you sort these photos?
By date ? place ? By people are depicted on them? events ?
Will you create folder for each category?
A difficult choice isn't it?
And what if you want to find photos of a certain person during an certain event ?
Or view photos for a definite year on which only you are depicted?
With TagsForAll, you can easily do this: assign to a file or photo
or even a folder, as many tags as you want. This, of course, will require some effort from you,
but later, navigation through your photo or files archive will be pleasant and
you with ease and the main thing very quickly, will be able to find exactly what you want.
Actually there are a lot of examples of usage for another types of files besides of pictures: you can use similar approach
for business docs, books, audio and video files.
And, in addition, you can add description for file just to recall what is it about.
Watch the introductory video to see how easy it is.
This video demonstrates basic functionality of TagsForAll:
Adding tags to files, quick navigation through tags and managing tags.
How it works
Please keep in mind:
You can use the main window for two purposes:
1. Adding removing tags to files.
2. Navigate through tags.
When you have some files selected:
you will edit tags for selected files.
you will edit tags for selected files.
Data for tags and description stored in two places:
1. In files itself as ADS ( Alternate Data Stream for NTFS ). So that you can move and transfer you files with memory stick to another computers or removable drives
but these drives or memory sticks have to have NTFS file system.
And even if something happens to the local database: It is easy to restore from files itself by scanning disc or directory with tagged files.
2. In local "database". Local data base is needed to facilitate and speedup access to tags and files.
How tags work.
1. You can assign files to tag: It is quite obvious case. The tag with associated files has golden color.
2. You can add subtags for the tag like you do it for file system: folders\subfolders
But pay attention: in case if the tag has associated files: result for this tag will be these files,
but if the tag has only subtags ( pale yellow color ): result will be files for all subtags.
Can I move, rename, delete tagged files?
Yes you can.
The software tracks changes in the file system and if something happens with tagged files it will update local database respectively.
Moreover: if you connect new drive the software will propose you to tracks changes in this drive. Choose what you want: if it is just temporary
memory stick better to choose "No". This choise will remember by software for this drive. If you want reset this you can do it in settings.
Scan for files with tags.
This feature need in cases:
1. If you connect new drive or memory stick and want to check if files there contains some tags.
2. If you reinstall Windows and want to restore your local database with tags.
3. Local database has been broken.
Scan for files without tags.
If you want to be sure that all files in some directory tagged, this feature will be useful for you:
It will find all untagged files in selected directory. You can use filter to find images or documents
There are few simple settings:
1. You can change hotkey for "FastTagAccess" feature, but please choose one which are not taken by Windows or other software.
2. Clean default behaviour for drives which you have connected before.
If you wants to watch some directory, for example "Downloads", for adding new files and immediately add tags to them: Just choose directory to watch.
Free version limitation.
Free version of TagsForAll is limited by 70 tags. No other limitations in sowtware exists.
Why is that nasty limitation? ... I guess you know why :)
Have question, proposal, feature request?